Regardless of what type of acne you may have, dermatologists will advise you not to squeeze the lesions. When it comes to cystic acne treatment, it is crucial that you follow this advice. Cystic acne is by far the most severe form of acne, which develops from nodules deeply embedded beneath the skin’s surface and squeezing this type of acne will result in serious consequences as well as prominent acne scarring.
What is cystic acne and how does it develop?
Cystic acne develops when untreated nodules advance in growth and development. When nodular acne inflamed and engorged with pus inside it, its follicular wall may end up rupturing deep beneath the skin, releasing the pus it contains. The bacteria contained in the released pus leak deep into the skin, will rapidly multiply and this will produce a more profound inflammatory process, where your body will try to combat the bacterial infection. The function of white blood cells is to defend your body from infection and to defeat any pathogens. Therefore a vicious cycle begins, where an infection is followed by inflammation repeatedly, leading to prolonged pus formation. Cyst formation is a part of the immune system’s mechanism in containing the infection from spreading further into the skin.
While this inflammatory process is taking place, the cystic acne will gradually start to expand into the surrounding skin tissue, forming larger and larger cysts. The dept and extent of acne cysts can vary greatly and they can appear in a combination with other types of acne, such as comedones, nodules, blackheads or whiteheads. Depending on its extent and its underlying causes, cystic acne treatment may vary.
Acne cysts may drain to the surface or may join with adjacent cysts to form sinus tracts. The body develops sinus tracts in order to try to prevent the bacteria and pus from contaminating the bloodstream. A sinus tract contains both blood and pus. If untreated it heals extremely slowly or can even get worse and it will leave large, long, darkened, shallow acne scars. Although it is extremely rare, in severe cases, cystic acne sinus tracts can lead to a toxic condition, which will require hospital treatment.
Cystic acne can lead to an enormous amount of emotional and physical distress for the sufferer. This upsetting condition is not only painful, but can cause frequent bleeding and an an unpleasant, potent smelling discharge.
Cystic Acne Treatment
When considering cystic acne treatment, many people find that this distressing condition can be incredibly difficult to control. There are however a variety of cystic acne treatment options for you to consider:
- Acne antibiotics, such as Erythromycin, Tetracycline and Minocycline will effectively bring down the infection produced by cystic acne, however, these medications do not have the ability to prevent the infection recurring or aid the body in the resorption of the cyst.
- Birth control pills for acne are prescribed for women, when cystic acne development results from the overproduction of testosterone. This medication may need to be taken for several months, prior to experiencing any significant improvement and will continue to be effective as long as they are taken.
- Isotretinoin, under the brand name Accutane has been beneficial for countless people, however this potentially dangerous medication needs to be taken with extreme caution due to its detrimental side effects.
- Steroid injections are often used in order shrink the lesions.
- Surgical drainage of the cysts may be necessary in severe cases, where all other cystic acne treatment solutions have failed to deliver significant results.
- Holistic acne treatment methods address the underlying causes of acne development and eliminate them. Consequently they will eliminate acne and will prevent any potential recurrences in the future. They will not only address each individual symptom in isolation, but will re-balance your whole body by addressing any nutritional deficiencies or hormonal imbalances, which have caused your acne to begin with. Indeed,when it comes to the treatment of cystic acne, or any other types of acne, unless these fundamental underlying factors are eliminated, the prevention of recurrences cannot be guaranteed.
Holistic treatment solutions are rapidly gaining credibility and popularity as a valid form of treatment for numerous diseases. Home remedies for acne are not an exception to this general rule for a number of reasons. Most importantly, the main objectives of this approach is not only to permanently eliminate any types of acne, but also to… [...read more]
People suffering from acne, often deal with more than one predicament. As well as having to face the distress of regular acne breakouts, there is always an underlying worry due to the acne scars caused by the lesions, which have a detrimental impact on the skin’s aesthetic appearance. The good news is however, that various acne scar treatment options are available. [...read more]
Which are the most important vitamins for acne treatment? The skin is a sensitive organ and just like other vital parts of the body, it is affected by our diet, lifestyle and emotions. Skin conditions, such as eczema, psoriasis or any type of acne breakouts are in fact the body’s outward manifestations of its internal deficiencies. [...read more]
When evaluating the causes of acne it is important to understand the different types of this ailment. For example, mild acne has different triggers compared to those of the severe forms and acne rosacea is caused by different factors than acne vulgaris. So there are a multitude of variables that we need to consider when trying to determine what causes acne. [...read more]
Hidradenitis suppurativa, commonly referred to as acne inversa, is a severe inflammatory skin condition manifesting through blackheads and painful red bumps filled with pus that may persist for weeks or even months. This inflammatory skin condition is certainly amongst the most distressing and severe, which many sufferers find difficult to cope with both physically and psychologically.[...read more]
To find an efficient hormonal acne treatment you have to understand how hormonal acne occurs and what triggers this particular skin condition. Only by getting familiar with the mechanisms that lead to the manifestations of this ailment and by identifying the root causes of the problem you can learn how to treat hormonal acne properly. [...read more]